1. Crab cleaned and cut into pieces – ½ kg
2. Shallots – 4 Nos sliced
3. Onion -1 No sliced
4. Ginger -1 inch chopped
5. Garlic – 4 cloves chopped
6. Green chilli – 2 Nos
7. Turmeric -1/2 tsp
8. Chilli powder – 3/4 tsp
9. Coriander Powder – 2 table spoon
10. Garam Masala Powder- – ½ tsp
11. Tomato -1 No
12. Tamarind Juice -2-3 table spoon
13. Coconut oil – 1- table spoon.
14. Curry leaves -3-4 sprig
15. Salt to taste
1. Coconut – 5-6 table spoon
2. Pepper -1 tsp
3. Fennel Seeds – ¼ tsp
4. Red Chilli – 2 Nos
5. Shallots – 3 Nos
6. Curry leaves – 1 sprig
7. Coconut oil – 2 table spoon
1. Coconut oil -2 table spoon
2. Shallots -6 Nos sliced
3. Curry leaves – 1 sprig
4. Dry red chilli- 1 No
• Clean the crab, and cut into pieces. Marinate it with little salt, turmeric powder and chilli powder in a mud pot (Mannu chatti) or deep cooking vessel. Keep it aside.
• Heat a pan, add little coconut oil, when hot, add onion slices, green chilli, garlic and a few shallot pieces and saute for few minutes. Add coriander powder, garam masala and roast well. When the colour of the coriander changes add tomato and tamarind juice saute for few minutes. Switch off the stove.
• Take chatti with the Crab, put the onion mixture, salt to taste, add enough water to immerse the crabs and stir well. Cover the chatti with a lid let it cook over a low flame
• Take a pan add 1 table spoon coconut oil add coconut, shallots, Fennel seeds, red chilli, Pepper and few curry leaves. Roast till the coconut is deep golden colour in a medium flame. Saute it continuously, so that coconut does not get burnt. Switch off the stove, and let the coconut mixture cool. Make a fine paste of this mixture.
• Check the crab, stir it well. The gravy should become thick. Add the coconut paste mix well. Add water according the required consistency. Let it boil for few minutes. Check the salt, add if required. Add few sprigs of curry leaves. Remove from the stove.
• Add few spoon of coconut oil in a pan, add chopped shallots, 1 red chill and curry leaves. When the shallots turn brown colour put this into the curry and cove the curry. Serve it hot with rice or appam.
• The curry is spicy, as green chilli, red chilli , red chilli powder and pepper is used, to make it less spice reduce the quantity of chilli accordingly.
• 1-2 pieces of Kodam puli can be used instead of Tamarind juice. If you do not like sour skip adding tamarind juice.