- Tapioca – 1 Pkt ( I used the frozen tapioca) or ½ kg fresh tapioca
- Fish – 1 tin tuna flakes or any fish of your choice with less thorns
- Coconut oil – 2 tbsp ( or any cooking oil of your preference)
- Onion – 3/4 cup, finely chopped
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig -chopped
- Green chilies – 2, finely chopped
- Shallots – 3 nos crushed
- Ginger-garlic paste – 1.5 tsp
- Jeera – Crushed ¼ tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Kashmiri chilly powder – 3/4 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1/2 tsp
- Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp (optional)
- Salt – To taste
- Bread crumbs – As required
- Egg – 1, beaten
- Pressure cook tapioca pieces in lots of water adding salt and 1/4 tsp turmeric powder for 2 -3 whistle . (Fresh Tapioca will take little longer to cook). When the tapioca become soft,drain the water and mash them well using a potato masher or with spoon. No lumps should be there. Keep it aside.
- Take the tuna and drain it. Heat a pan, add 2 tsp of coconut oil, add turmeric powder, ¼ tsp pepper powder, ¼ tsp of garam masala powder, chilli powder , saute it well. Add the drained tuna add salt to taste. Stir it well till all the water evaporate and add a few drops of lemon juice. If using fresh fish cook it with little water , turmeric powder, pepper powder and salt. When the fish is cooked and the water evaporates add few drops of coconut oil and pound the fish with spoon and roast it for few more minutes . Remove any thorns present. ( can use fresh kingfish, sardines) . Keep it aside
- Take a pan, add 1.5 tbsp coconut oil and heat it. Add finely chopped onion and saute until transparent. To the onions add chopped curry leaves, green chilies, ginger-garlic paste, crushed zeera and crushed shallots. Saute until onion starts to change color. Add turmeric powder, kashmiri chilly powder, coriander powder, ¼ tsp pepper powder and ¼ tsp garam masala powder, (Optional). Mix well and cook for a few seconds.
- Add the fish mixture and mix thoroughly and cook for a minute, then add mashed tapioca and mix well. Check the taste of the mixture for salt, add if extra salt is needed. Remove the pan from the stove.
- When it is warm to handle, make lemon size balls of the mixture. Flatten it into an oval shape or round shape. Take an egg remove the white part and beat it well with a pinch of salt and pepper, dip the cutlets one by one into the mixture and roll it in bread crumbs.
- Deep or shallow fry in oil until brown. Serve with tomato ketchup or nice chilli chutney.
Note : For vegetarian version -You can avoid adding fish( skip step 2) and egg. Instead of egg white use 2-3 table spoon maida with 1/2 cup of water and make it into a sauce consistency and dip the cutlet and roll it in bread crumbs.
I have added jeera and shallots it give a nice taste to tapioca and very good for stomach.