- Cheera (Red Spinach) – 1 bunch
- Garlic- 2 teaspoon
- Red Chilli- 2 Nos
- Mustard- ½ tsp
- Coconut oil- 2 table spoon
- Turmeric -1 pinch
- Onion – 1 medium chopped
- Coconut- Grated ½ cup
- Salt to taste
- Curry leaves- 2 sprigs
- Wash the Red spinach (Cheera) well 3-4 times so that there is no residue of sand in it. Always choose the fresh red coloured tender stem Spinach. Shred it into small pieces.
- Heat a pan add oil, pop mustard seeds, add 2 tsp of garlic and 2 red chilli. Saute till the garlic turns golden colour.
- Add onions and sauté for few minutes. Add a pinch of turmeric powder.
- Add the shredded red spinach leaves and cover and let it cook.
- After 4-5 minutes open the cover, wait till all the water evaporates. Add salt, grated coconut and curry leaves and mix well. You can add extra raw coconut oil to enhance the taste (optional)
- The tadka can be done in the end to keep it crispy.
- Instead of mustard we can also add 1 table spoon raw rice in tadaka. The fried crispy rice is also tasty.
- Onion can be omitted.
- Shallots can be used instead of garlic.