Banana Plant is wonder plant and a must in your backyard. Every part of the plant can be put to use. Apart from eating the bananas, we can whip up dishes with the inside of a banana stem as well as the Banana flower. The leaf can be used as an organic and disposable plate, which is used in South Indian Homes. The tender inner stem is used as food and has many medicinal properties as well. For those who are clueless about handling Banana flower, here are some tips. Apply oil on your hands so that it doesn’t get sticky. Always peel off 3-4 layers of the leaves. Start slicing from the pointed tip. Towards the broader portion, you will see that the centre part will be hard. Stop slicing when you reach the harder part. Applying oil and mix it well.
1. Banana Flower- 200 gms finely chopped
2. Boiled potatoes- 2-3
3. Onion- 2 finely chopped
4. Coconut – 2-3 table spoon Chopped.
5. Ginger- 1″ piece
6. Garlic- 2 big or 4 small cloves
7. Green chillies- 2
8. Turmeric powder- 1/4 teaspoon
9. Fennel powder- 3/4 teaspoon
10. Pepper powder- 1/2 teaspoon
11. Garam masala powder- 1 teaspoon
12. Chopped curry leaves- a few
13. Salt to taste
For the Coating
1. Maida – ¼ cup
2. Semolina- 2 tablespoons
3. Water as required
4. Breadcrumbs powdered- 3/4 cup
5. Oil for deep frying
1. Boiled potatoes, skin it, and mash it. Keep aside.
2. Take ginger, garlic and chillies and crush and keep it aside
3. Take the finely chopped banana flower in a bowl. Pour 1/2 teaspoon of oil and mix well. Keep aside.
4. Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons oil in a pan. Add the chopped curry leaves and onion and saute till light brown in colour. Add chopped coconut and saute. Add ginger-garlic-chilli paste and saute for a minute. Add the fennel powder, turmeric powder, pepper powder and garam masala powder and stir for a few seconds. Add the banana flower along with salt. Mix well. Cover and cook till it is cooked through (approximately 5 minutes).
5. Add the mashed potatoes and mix well. Allow to cook for a minute. Switch off heat and allow to cool.
6. Once the mixture is cooled, take small portions and shape it the way you like and arrange on a plate.
7. Make a thick batter of maida, Semolina, little salt and pepper adding enough water to. Place breadcrumbs in a plate next to the bowl with batter.
Dip and Coat evenly the batter over the cutlets. Roll this in the breadcrumbs till evenly coated on all sides. Repeat the step for crispy cutlets. Fry the cutlets in hot oil, in medium heat, till golden brown on both sides. Drain onto an absorbent paper. Serve hot with sauce or onion- vinegar salad.