- Idi chakka- 1 medium size
- coconut -1/2 cup shredded
- Turmeric- ½ tsp
- Salt to Taste
- Zeera-1/2 tsp
- Green Chilli- 2 Nos
- Shallots – 3-4 nos
- Oil- 1 table spoon
- Urad Dal – 1 tsp
- Mustard Seeds- ½ tsp
- Red chilli- 1 No
- Curry leaves- 2 sprig
- Peel the hard outer covering of the Jack fruit and cut it into cubes and clean well. Take a cooking vessel, add enough water to cook ( 1 cup) along with turmeric powder and salt. Cook till the jackfruit become soft. Do not overcook it.
- Cool the jackfruit and press it with a spatula to shred it.
- Pound the coconut, green chili, shallots and zeera without water using a mixer or a mortar and pestle
- Take a pan, add oil, sputter mustard, urad dal, red chilli and curry leaves. When the urad dal turns golden colour add the shredded jackfruits. Sauté well for 2 minutes. Add pounded coconut mixture and mix well for few more minutes. Off the stove and serve it with Kanji or with rice as side dish.
Note: While cutting the jackfruit apply oil on the knife and hands. As the white sap will stick to hands and knife as it will be difficult to remove. Heat the knife over the stove and wipe it with tissue or waste cloth to clean the sap.
The jackfruit should be immersed in water after cutting as it turns brown colour if left in the open.