The Mexican Sweet Rice Milk is also called Agua De Horchata, here it has been adapted to Indian tastes. It is not only a refreshing drink but also very good for health.
- 1 cup long grain rice (Basmati rice)
- 2 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 cardamom pods
- 3 cups warm water
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Vanilla essence- 2 drops
- 2 cup Fresh milk
- ½ tin condensed milk
- 5-6 cashew nut –Optional ( can use almonds instead of cashew nut)
- 1 tsp flaked almonds
- Rinse rice and pour warm water on top.
- Add cinnamon stick and cardamom pods. Cover and let the rice soak overnight or for at least 10 hours.
- Retain the water and puree the soaked rice and cashews nut in a blender along with cinnamon stick and cardamom pods (optional – I removed the pods after soaking).
- Strain pureed rice and water through muslin cloth, squeezing it firmly to extract as much flavor as possible.
- Blend the powdered sugar, vanilla essence, milk and condensed milk with the rice extract.
Serve chilled in a tall glass with ice decorate with flaked almonds. You can also serve with a dollop of vanilla ice cream with a pinch of cinnamon powder over it.