Ghee rice is prepared in Malabar area using special verity of rice called khyma or jeerkasala. It is small grained unlike Basmati which is long grained. It has a distinct taste too. This rice is used for preparing the Thalassery biryani too
- Khyma or Jeerakasala (preferably) or Basmati rice or – 2 cups
- Ghee- 4 table spoons
- Onion -2 Nos Medium size sliced
- Garlic –crushed 3-4 nos
- Cashew nut- 10 Nos
- Raisins – 10 Nos
- Cardamom -4 Nos
- Bay leaves -2 Nos
- Cloves – 6 nos
- Cinnamon stick- 2 nos
- Star aniseed- 1no
- Big cardamom- 1 no
- Salt to taste
- Wash and soak the rice for 5 minutes. Drain all the water and keep aside.
- Heat a pot, add few drops of oil or ghee and roast the spices (Ingredients 5-9 ). When a nice aroma come add 4 glass of water .Let the water boil for some time, so that water retains all the flavors of Sieve this water and discard the spices. I discard the spices as biting the spices leave a bad taste in the mouth while eating rice.
- Take a heavy bottom vessel, heat the ghee roast the cashew and raisins and drain and keep aside. Add onions and fry it till golden brown colour. Do not burn the onions, drain it and keep aside.
- In the same ghee add the rice and saute it for few minutes.
- Add the Spice flavored water to the rice, add salt to the rice. Cook it in medium flame.
- When all the water in the rice will evaporate off the stove. Spread the rice in a serving bowl decorate with onions, cashew nuts and raisins and serve it with Chicken curry, Onion Raita, Pappadam, Date Beetroot chutney etc
Tip: Crush few garlic cloves tie it in a clean piece of cloth or a small cloth pouch and add to the rice while cooking. It gives a nice aroma for the rice. Discard this pouch before serving the rice. It is my aunt’s tip.