An idli which can be made instantly without the trouble of soaking, grinding or fermenting.
- Semolina (rava) – 1 cup
- Curd-1/2 cup
- Water – ½ cup
- Green chili- 1 no chopped
- Ginger- 1inch chopped
- Curry leaves- 3-4 nos
- Coriander leaves-chopped -2 table spoon
- Cashewnut – 4-5 nos (broken)
- Urad Dal- 1tsp
- Mustard- ¾ tsp
- Bengal gram-1 tsp
- Cumin seeds-1/2 tsp
- Hing (optional) ½ tsp
- Baking Powder- 1 pinch
- Oil- 2-3 table spoon.
- Salt to taste.
- Heat a pan and add 1 table spoon oil and roast the semolina till nice aroma arises, off the stove and let it cool. If you are using roasted upma rava ( which is available in the stores) avoid this step.
- Add remaining oil and heat, add mustard and when it sputter, add the urad dal and chana dal and roast, add cumin seeds and cashew. When all are done add the green chili, curry leaves, off the stove and add the coriander leaves. Mix it to the rava.
- Add the curd, salt and water. Mix thoroughly. Add water if it is too thick. The batter should be idli batter consistency.
- Keep this batter for 20 to 30 minutes.
- After 20-30 minutes add the baking soda and mix well. Add water if the batter turns to be thick as the Semolina tends to absorb water.
- Take a idli mold and apply oil and spoon in the batter and steam.
- Serve hot with any spicy chutney.