- Maida (refined flour) or even wheat flour can be used- 1 cup
- Semolina- 1/4 cup
- Clarified butter/vegetable ghee melted 2 table spoon
- Salt to taste
- 5.Pepper-1/2 tsp
- Chili powder-Optional ¼ tsp
- Sesame seeds-1/2 tsp
- Ajwain seeds-1tsp
- oil for deep frying
- water 1/3 cup
Take a bowl add semolina, flour, ajwain, pepper powder, chili powder, sesame seeds , salt and clarified butter. Mix it well.
- Make a firm dough using the water
- Keep the dough to rest 15-20 minutes covered with a wet cloth.
- After 15 minutes make 2 parts of the dough and make it pliable and roll it into a 8 inch round thick chapatti. Using a fork prick so that it does not puff up while frying
- Using a cutter make horizontal and vertical lines a of width 1.5 cm or in diamond shapes.
- Separate it using a flat steel ladle or the blunt part of the knife
- Heat the oil to medium heat add the diamonds into the oil and reduce the heat so that it turns golden pink colour. If you increase heat it will become brown fast and get burnt.
- Drain on kitchen towel, on cooling store it in an airtight bottle. It can be used for up to a month
- If you want to make it more spicy, toss with chat masala, amchoor powder for tanginess, little chili powder .