- Raw Rice – 1/2 cup
- Moong dal/ pasi paruppu – 1/4 cup
- Jaggery – 1 cup grated
- Cashew nuts -2 tbsp
- Raisins -2-3 tbsp
- Cardamom – 4 pods or 1/4 tsp powder
- Ghee/clarified butter -1/4 cup
- Ghee -1/2 tsp (for jaggery syrup)
- Dry roast rice and dal separately until it is too hot to touch. No Need to change colour
- Cook rice and dal together with 2 ½ cups of water. Mix well and keep it aside.
- Peel and powder cardamom powder, and keep it aside.
- Heat ¼ cup water in a pan and add jaggery and dissolve and filter to remove impurities. Boil jaggery and add ghee. No need to make the jaggery too sticky.
- Add mixture of dal and rice and cook for a few minutes to get everything blend well. Add cardamom powder.
- Fry cashew nuts and raisins in ghee and add to the cooked dal rice mixture.
- Cook in low flame for sometimes and our sweet pongal is ready. Serves hot.