For Dosa batter:
- Urad Dal – ¾ cup urad dal
- Raw Rice -2 cups rice
- Methi/ uluva (fenugreek)- 1 tea spoon
- Cooked Boiled Rice (preferably Matta rice)- 1 Cup
- Oil for making dosa.
For making the Masala (karam):
- 2 large onions
- Dry Red chillies -4 to 5 9 (reduce if u need less spicy)
- Jeera -¼ tps spoon (optional)
- Hing -1/4 tsp
- 1 tea spoon salt
- Curry leaves -1 sprig
Lentil Powder (urad dal) chutney powder- 2-3 table spoon
Gingerly oil and ghee- 2 : 1 ration (according to the need)
- Wash and soak 1 cup urad dal, raw rice and 1 tea spoon methi for 5 to 6 hours. Grind it along with cooked rice and mix them adding 2 tea spoons of salt to it. Use the soaked water so that it will ferment faster. Leave the batter for 8-10 hours in a covered vessel in a warm place.
- Add 1 tsp oil in a pan, roast onions, red chillies, jeera, hing and curry leaves and salt. On cooling grind it to fine paste and keep it aside. ( you can avoid roasting but I prefer to roast as I do not like the raw taste of onion)
- Now make dosa on a non stick dosa pan. Apply 2 tea spoons of Karam (onion paste) on it and spread the karam evenly. Spread some Lentil powder over it then add a tea spoon gingerly oil+ ghee mixture of on it and on the dosa. Take some oil in a spoon and apply to the edges of the dosa and roast it to golden brown in a medium heat. Fold and Serve hot ……………with sambar, chutney. Or can be eaten as it is yummy spicy and tasty dosa.
The gingerly oil and ghee is a very great combination for dosa. It give a good taste to dosa.