Mujaddara is Rice and Lentil Dish. It is a tasty vegetarian dish that is a part of the Middle-Eastern cuisine.
- Basmati rice-1 Cup
- Brown lentils- 1cup
- Garlic – 2-3 chopped
- Spice powder- mix
- Coriander powder–dry ½ tsp
- Cumin powder -1/2 tsp
- Cardamom seeds powdered-1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon powder-1/2 tsp
- Onion- big 2 Nos or medium 3 Nos (made to thin slices)
- Olive oil -4 table spoon
- Pepper powder- ½ tsp
- Salt- to taste
- Water -5 cups of water
- Wash the lentil , put into a deep pan and add 3 cup of water, chopped garlic and little salt and cook the lentils . It should not be over cooked.
- Drain the water from lentil and measure it and keep it aside.
- Heat a non stick vessel add olive oil and fry the onion till it is golden brown. Drain it from oil on to a kitchen towel.
- It is same pan add the spice powder and rice and saute it for few minutes. Add 5 cups of water ( 1 glass drained from lentil and 1.5 normal). Add required salt.
- When the rice is half cooked add the lentil and mix slowly. Let the water evaporate and the rice is fully cooked.
- Arrange on a plate and decorate with fried onions. Serve with Arabic salad and Cucumber and yogurt salad.
Note: Turmeric can be added for making the rice yellow colour.
The above spice and the onions make it aromatic .