Qatayef or Kataif with Shrikant (a fusion recipe)
Here I have tried to make a fusion dish of famous Arabic Qatayef filled with Indian hung yogurt sweet Shrikhant which is light and healthy.
For kataif: (makes around 15 of them)
- All Purpose Flour-1 Cup
- Yeast-1/4 Teaspoon
- Baking Powder-1/2teaspoon
- Vegetable Oil-1 Tablespoons
- Sugar-1 Tablespoons
- Orange Blossom Water (Optional) Or Vanilla Essence1 Tablespoons
- Warm Water 11/2cups Of (You May Need 1/4 To 1/2 Cup More)
For stuffing (Shrikhand)
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups Greek Yogurt or Hung curd*
- 1/4-1/2 cups sugar (or as per taste)
- pinch of cardamom powder or as per taste
- Pistachio and walnut – ½ cup each crushed
*For Making Hung curd-Take a clean muslin cloth and take the yogurt in it. Tie a knot and hang it so that all the water drains away from the yogurt. Leave it like this for overnight or for about 12hrs. The remaining dry yogurt is called hung yogurt.
Mix sugar and cardamom powder and whisk it. And keep it the fridge for 1 hrs.
To make the simple syrup for drizzling over:
For simple syrup:
- sugar-2 cups
- water-1 cup
- lemon juice-2 tablespoons
- rose water or orange blossom water (optional) -1 teaspoon
- Place the sugar, water and lemon juice in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes
- Turn off the heat and on cooling add the rosewater.
Preparation of making kataif:
- Take some warm water and 1 table spoon sugar, dissolve the yeast and keep it for 10 minutes to raise.
- Take a blender add the flour, semolina, oil, baking powder and mix well. Add the yeast mix and mix. Add warm water and make into an appam batter. Keep it covered for 10-20 minutes.
- For making mini pancakes , heat a non-stick pan medium temperature. Wipe it with little oil, pour 1 dessert spoon of the mixture over it, we need not spread it. Lot of pours will emerge. When it is completely cooked, we need not flip, remove it over a kitchen towel, and keep it covered.
- Make remaining pancakes in the similar way.
- To assemble, fold them into a half circle , putting little pressure to the edges and seal it only half way.
- Fill Qatayef with srikhand, and dip slowly facing downwards over the crushed pistachio. Or just put some crushed pistachio and walnuts slightly press with hand.
- Arrange it over a plate with a cup of the syrup. While having the Qatayef drizzle the syrup and eat
There are many version, but this is healthy and simple version. We can fill thick fresh cream, Nutella, thick custard pudding etc.