Basbousa is a traditional Middle Eastern sweet cake made from cooked semolina. Coconut is a popular addition.
For the syrup
- 3 ½ cups of sugar
- 3 ½ cups of water
- 2 table spoon of lemon juice
For the Dough
- 1 cup of yoghurt
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 orange
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 cup of semolina
- ½ cup of shredded coconut
- ½ cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 spoon baking powder
Preparation of syrup
Dissolve sugar in water in a medium saucepan. Add lemon juice and bring to a boil. Once the syrup begins to boil. Reduce heat and allow to slowly boil for about 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease and flour the baking dish.
- Mix butter and sugar in a mixing bowl. Add eggs.
- In a separate bowl, combine semolina, baking powder and coconut
- Slowly add to butter and egg mixture.
- Pour mixture into baking dish and smooth with spoon.
- Cut to square shapes. Place an almond in the center of each diamond. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove cake from oven and pour syrup over cake. Allow to cool for 20 minutes.