A Spicy treat to all the Biryani lovers. One of the most delicious biryani I ate in Chennai few years back at Thalapkatti Restaurant. Thalpakatti Biryani is famous at Dindigal area in Tamilnadu. It was so yummy the taste still remain on my tongue . I just tried to prepare and was successful to some extend. I learned about a spice used in it Black stone flower-Kalpaasi it is a very aromatic spice which I got at our Arabic Spice shop.
- Mutton – 1/2 kg
- Seeraga Samba Rice – 3 cup
- Oil – 2 tblspn
- Ghee – 2 tblspn
- Onion – 2 large thinly sliced
- Green Chillies – 3 slit lengthwise
- Tomatoes – 2 large chopped finely
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 2 tblspn
- Coriander Leaves – 1/4 cup chopped
- Mint Leaves – 1/4 cup chopped
- Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 tblspn
- Coriander Powder – 2 tblspn
- Salt to taste
- Water – 4.5 cup
For Biryani Spice Powder:
- Cardamom -5 Nos
- Star Anise-1
- Cinnamon Stick – 4 cm stick
- Fennel Seeds / Saunf – 1.5 tblspn
- Mace / Javitri – 5
- Kalpaasi / Black Stone Flower – 5 piece ( roast in little oil and add while grounding the spieces)
While frying in in little oil will release its aroma.
- Cumin Seeds -2 tsp
- Cloves– 5
- Dry roast the spices and make a coarse powder and store it in tight lid jar.
- Wash Seeraga Samba rice well in water,
- Take a pressure cooker, heat oil and ghee in a pressure cooker. Add in onions and green chillies. Saute it till it gets golden.
- Add in ginger garlic paste and saute for a min.
- Add in tomatoes to it and mix well.
- Add in salt, turmeric, chilli powder and coriander powder. Saute it till oil start leaving the masala appox 30 sec.
- Mix to the masala the freshly ground biryani powder saute for a minute.
- Now add in mutton and mix well. Add in 1 cup of water pressure cook it for 7 to 8 whistle. Simmer it for some time. Turn the heat off, let the pressure get released.
- On opening if the meat has lots of water put it back on stove and reduce it by heating .
- Add in rice and mix well after the water is reduced.
- Add in 4.5 Cup of water, bring it to boil, simmer it and pressure cook it for 1 whistle. Then simmer it for 5 mins. Turn the heat off and fluff with a fork.
- Serve with raita, pappad.