- 1/2 Kg. fish fillet
- 1/2 Cup lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- 1 Tsp. pepper powder
- 1 Tsp turmeric powder
- 1 Cup oil for frying fish
- 1 Large onion finely sliced
- 1 Onion chopped
- 1 Tsp. chopped garlic
- 1 lbsp. fresh ginger chopped
- 3 Fresh red chilli split into 2
- 2 lbsp. cashew nuts
- 1 lbsp. poppy seeds (khush khush) roasted
- cummin powder
- 2 Tsp. coriander powder.
- cardamom powder
- cinnamon powder
- 4 Tsp. saffron strands (powdered and soaked in 2 Tbsp, boiling water) -optional
- 2Cup plain yoghurt
- 2Cup coriander leaves chopped
- Wash and dry the fish and cut it into large pieces. Marinate it in lemon juice, salt, pepper powder and turmeric powder for half an hour. Shallow fry the fish both sides turning to light brown.
- In the same oil fry sliced onions until they turn golden brown and set aside.
- Blend chopped onion, garlic, chillies, cashew nuts, and poppy seeds to make a smooth paste with fine texture. Add a little more water to the blender and run once more. In a pan fry all the powdered spices and blended paste in a little oil until the raw smell disappears. Remove from pan taking care nothing is sticking to the pan.
- Add yoghurt and soaked saffron into the spice mixture and allow it to simmer until the gravy Add fried fish and keep stirring gently and remove from fire after 10 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and fried onions and serve hot with rice or appam or parata.
Recipe courtesy: Quick & Easy Flavors by KV Sutha. (Page 56)