A dried variety of hibiscus flower is the basis for this refreshingly red colour cool drink. We can make this two days ahead of the party and refrigerate it.
The health benefits of hibiscus tea include relief from high blood pressure and high cholesterol, as well as digestive, immune system, and inflammatory problems. It helps to cure liver disease and reduces the risk of cancer. It can also speed up the metabolism and help in healthy, gradual weight loss.
• 2 cups Jamaica (Sweet dry hibiscus)
• 8 cups water
• 1 cup sugar, preferably superfine, or to taste
1. Place dry flowers in large pot with water, and bring to a boil. Remove from heat, and steep at room temperature at least 1 hour or overnight.
2. Strain liquid into clear glass pitcher, and press down on flowers to extract all liquid possible. Discard flowers.
3. Add sugar, stirring to dissolve. Add more sugar and water if drink is too strong. Cover, and refrigerate for up to two days. Serve cold with or without soda