- Dry prawn :- 1 cup*
- Grated Coconut or Desiccated Coconut – 1.5 -2 Cups*
- Red Chilli- 2-3 No
- Shallots – 4 Nos chopped
- Garlic- 3 cloves chopped
- Coriander seeds- ¼ tsp
- Black Pepper – 10 Nos
- Sesame seeds- ½ tsp
- Jeera Seeds _ ¼ tsp
- Urad Dal- ¾ tsp
- Curry leaves
- Tamarind – little
- Chilli Powder ( Kashmiri) – 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Wash the dry prawns well and dry roast it and keep it aside.
- Dry roast the ingredients from 2-11 till the urad dal and coconut colour change to golden brown. Once the colour changes add salt, Kashmiri powder and tamarind and mix well. Add the roasted dry Prawns and mix well for some time. Remove from the stove and let it cool
- Powder the mixture and keep it in an air tight bottle. Can be used for Kanji, rice etc.
Tip: 1. I have used less prawns as I just like little flavor of dry prawns, for more strong taste of prawns, add both coconut and prawns equal quantity. 1:1.
- I have used Jeera, coriander, pepper, sesame, urad dal here, to remove the fishy taste of the dry prawns. These ingredients are not there in traditional recipe.
- Increase the amount of chili if you need spicier chutney Podi.
- I have used desiccated coconut as it is easy to brown and the chutney powder lasts longer.