- 50 grams plain flour
- 70 grams rice flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 5 tbsps sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 5 bananas
- oil or deep frying
- In a large bowl, mix together both flours, the baking powder, sugar and salt. Gradually add the water or coconut milk, stirring until a smooth batter forms. The batter should be like a smooth paste, not watery – add a little extra flour if it seems thin.
Stir in the sesame seeds and set the batter aside for 10 minutes.
3. Peel the bananas. Cut crosswise in half then cut each piece lengthways into three slices.
4. Place a heavy pot over a high heat. Add oil to a depth of 4cm and heat until the oil just starts to smoke.
5. Have ready a plate or baking tray lined with paper towel for draining the cooked bananas,
6. When the oil is ready, dip a banana piece on the batter, turning to coat it. Place in the hot oil to fry. If the banana is very ripe and a little soft it may break into smaller pieces; don’t worry, it doesn’t matter.
7. Repeat with a second piece of banana and deep-fry both, turning them over halfway through. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon, pausing to allow the excess oil to drain back into the pot.
8. Drain the fried bananas on paper towel. Serve hot.