Amla in Hindi, Gooseberry in English and Nellikka in Malayalam and Tamil are one and the same. The gooseberries have a lot of nutrition in them.
Ingredients needed for Nellikka Achar:
- Amla / Nellikka- 10 Nos (brined Gooseberries *)
- Chilly powder- 3 table spoon
- Turmeric powder- ½ tsp
- Asafoetida powder-1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek roasted and powdered-1/2 tsp
- til / Gingelly Oil -1/2 cup
- To temper
Mustard seeds – as required
Salt – as required
Curry leaves – a little
* To Brine Boil 2-3 cups of water and take add 2-3 table spoon of salt on cooling add the gooseberry and keep it for 2 -3 days. We need not boil as it becomes soft. By brining it will absorb salt as well as remain crispy.
- Slice the gooseberry and keep it aside.
- Heat a pan add oil add mustard seeds and curry leaves on sputtering add the chili powder, asafetida powder, fenugreek powder and mix well on a low flame. Add the sliced Amla/nellikka to it and add little water from the brine. Add salt if required off the stove and let it cool
- Store in a glass jar and use it after 2-3 days.