Quick Breakfast or brunch or evening snack
You just need to mix all the ingredients and make cheela, and it’s a healthy tiffin box snack
- 1 cup besan (gram flour)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped OR ¼ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 small tomato finely chopped OR ¼ cup finely chopped tomatoes
- ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- 1 small green chili. finely chopped OR ½ to ⅔ teaspoon finely chopped green chilies
- ½ inch ginger finely chopped OR ½ teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- ½ teaspoon carom seeds (ajwain) OR cumin seeds (jeera)
- 2 to 3 pinches of turmeric powder (haldi)
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- ½ to ⅔ cup water or add as required
- salt as per taste
- oil as required
- take 1 cup besan in a mixing bowl.
- add all the ingredients except water and oil.
- now first add 1/2 cup water.
- if the batter looks thick, then add 1 to 3 tbsp more water. depending on the quality and texture of besan, addition of water will be more or less.
- mix to a smooth flowing consistency in the batter. break lumps if any while mixing batter.
- heat a tawa or a flat pan on a low flame. you can use an iron tawa or a non stick pan. if using iron griddle or tawa, then spread a bit of oil on the tawa.
- let the pan become medium hot. then take a ladle full of the batter and pour on the pan
- gently with the back of the ladle, begin to spread the batter.
- spread lightly and gently so that the cheela does not break.
- on a low flame cook the cheela till the top begins to look cooked.
- then drizzle 1/2 to 1 tsp oil on the cheela at the edges and all around.
- continue to cook till the base gets light golden.
- flip and now cook the other side.
- cook this side till you see golden spots on the chilla.
- fold and serve hot or warm. besan chillas are best at hot.
- serve besan cheelas plain or with any chutney of your choice.
for small kids, skip the green chilies and red chili powder.