Mango Chunda is a preserve that is common to all Gujarati households. The traditional preparation of Chunda is time consuming, the heat of sun being used to dissolve the sugar till the pickle reaches a clear syrupy consistency and the mango shreds are translucent.
This is a quick version of this very popular recipe that tastes superb and is surprisingly easy to prepare. The secret of making a perfect chunda is the one string consistency which is very important. This simple recipe will help you stock up a year’s supply of mango chunda
- Raw Mango- 3 nos
- Jaggery syrup /or sugar -1.5 cup
- Red chili powder-½ – 1 tsp tsp (according to spicyness)
- Cumin seeds (jeera) roasted and powdered
- Salt- to taste
- Skin the mangoes and grate it add salt and mix well
- Take a pan add the jaggery syrup or sugar and add the grated mango.
- Add the red chili powder to it and cook it on low flame. Let it become 1 thread consistency or to a thick mixture.
- Add the roasted jeera powder and let it cool.
Yummy and sour, sweet spicy pickle is ready.Serve it with phulka ,poori, kichadi or dhokla