Gongura Prawn curry (Sorrel leaves)
Sorrel leaves or Gongura leaves are very popular in the states of Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu in India and is used for making a large variety of dishes such as gongura pachadi, gongura chicken, gongura pickle, gongura dal, gongura pappu and many more. It has a very distinctive tangy taste and constitutes one of the main ingredients in Indian Andhra food recipes. Because of its sour taste, it is also known as sour leaves or sour grass. Gongura is a wonderful source of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants that are beneficial to your overall health. Gongura, being a rich source of iron, helps in increasing the production of red blood cells, thus preventing anemia caused by iron deficiency.
- Gongura leaves ( Sorrel Leaves)- 2 bunch, stalk removed, cleaned and drained well
- Prawns/shrimp- 200 grams
- Green chili- 6 nos
- Curry leaves- 10 -12 nos
- Fenugreek seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Fennel Seeds-1/2 tsp
- Garam masala- ¾ tsp
- Cumin powder- ½ tsp
- Mustard- 1 tsp
- Ginger garlic paste- 1 tsp
- Onion -1 cup chopped
- Coriander – 2 tsp
- Chili powder- 1.5 tsp
- Turmeric- 1 tsp
- Oil -2.5 table spoon
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan. Add few grains of fenugreek, cumin and mustard when it sputter add 3-4 split green chili. Mix well. Add to it cleaned sorrel leave and mix well and cover and cook for 1 minute
- Open the lid and add to it ¼ tsp of turmeric and salt mix .Let it cook for few more minute. Off the stove and cool the mixture and blend it well and keep aside.
- Dry roast 2 tsp coriander, ½ tsp fennel seeds,1/2 tsp cumin seeds and ½ tsp of fenugreek seeds and 2 red chili. Powder it and keep it aside
Prawn /shrimp curry.
- Heat oil add ½ tsp mustard, ½ tsp cumin, ¼ fenugreek and ½ tsp fennel seeds and let it sputter. Add to it 3 -4 sliced green chili and curry leaves and chopped coriander leaves and sauté it well.
- Add the chopped onion to it sauté till well and when it turn soft and turn slightly golden add the 1 table spoon ginger garlic paste and mix it till the raw smell leaves.
- Add the cleaned prawns and mix.
- Add the red chili powder Turmeric and salt to taste and mix well. When the prawns are fried
- Add the gongura paste mix well and add the masala powder and garam masala.
- Mix well and cook it covered for few minutes over low flame.
- Off the stove and add chopped coriander leaves
Serve it hot with white rice or chapatti.