The lotus seeds are rich in phosphorus, protein, potassium and magnesium. The pakodas are also made healthy by frying them in a Kuzi Paniyaram Pan that uses less oil.
- 100 grams Phool Makhana (Lotus Seeds) , roasted with ghee and crushed
- 1/2 cup Gram flour (besan)
- 1 Onion , sliced
- 1 Green Chilli , chopped
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon Red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- Salt (adjust according to your taste) , to taste
- 1 sprig Coriander leaves (Dhania) , chopped
- 1 sprig Curry leaves , chopped
- Combine all the ingredients together in a bowl. Add water little at a time, to make a thick pakoda batter. Check the salt and spices and adjust to suit your taste.
- Heat oil in a pan and deep fry the pakoras.
Preheat the Kuzhi Paniyaram Pan on medium heat; add a few drops of oil into each cavity. Spoon the Lotus Seed Pakoda batter into the cavity and pan-fry them until it is browned and crisp on both sides. You can optionally add just a little more oil to give it additional taste.
- Proceed the same way with the remaining Lotus Seed pakoda Batter.
- The process of cooking pakoda in a pan preserves nutrition and the addition of Lotus seeds giving an added taste and nutrition for this classic teatime snack.
- Arrange the Lotus Seed pakoda on a serving platter, sprinkle some chaat masala, place some pickled onions by the side and serve it as a snack or as an appetizer for parties.
- Serve the Puffed Lotus Seed Pakoras for your evening tea.