A fresh flavor orange juice made from pureed boiled root vegetables.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 Vidalia onion, coarsely chopped (about 2 1/2 cups), alternatively you can use ordinary Onion
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 large parsnip, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 2 1/4 cups)
- 1/2 small rutabaga, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 1 3/4 cups)
- 1 small celery root, peeled and coarsely chopped (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 2 thyme springs
- 2 glasses chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 oranges, such as navel and Cara Cara
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly grated peeled ginger
- 1/2 cup water, plus more if needed
- Fresh tarragon leaves, for garnish
- Salt – As required
1. Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and 3/4 teaspoon salt, and cook until onion is softened, (do not let brown). Add parsnip, rutabaga, celery root, thyme, and stock. Bring to a boil, and reduce heat. Cover, and simmer until vegetables are tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
2. Puree cooked vegetables in batches in a blender until smooth (fill blender only halfway), and transfer to a vessel.
3. Finely grate peel of 1 orange to yield 1/2 teaspoon zest. Squeeze enough juice from orange to yield 1 cup total. Just before serving, reheat the soup to warm. Stir in Orange Zest, Juice, Ginger and add water more to make soup thin to desired consistency. Season with salt, and garnish with orange segments, tarragon, and pepper.