- 1. 5 cups coarsely chopped seeded watermelon (from a 4-lb piece, rind discarded)
- 2. 1 fresh Spring Onion
- 3. 3 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
- 4. 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 5. 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 6. 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 7. 1 small hot green chile such as Thai or serrano, finely chopped (including seeds)
- 8. 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, or to taste
- 9. Salt as required.
- 10. For crab:
- 11. 10 oz jumbo lump crabmeat (2 cups)
- 12. 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 13. 1 1/2 tablespoons mild olive oil
- 14. Salt as required.
Preparation of Soup:
- 1. Purée watermelon in a blender until smooth and transfer to a bowl.
- 2. Discard 1 or 2 outer leaves of spring onion and trim root end. Thinly slice lower 5 to 6 inches of stalk.
- 3. Cook spring onion, shallot, ginger, and garlic in oil in a saucepan over moderately low heat, stirring, until golden. Add about one third of watermelon purée and simmer over moderate heat, stirring, 5 minutes.
- 4. Remove watermelon mixture from heat, then transfer to blender along with chili, lime juice, and salt and blend until smooth.
- 5. Add remaining watermelon purée and blend briefly. Add salt as required. Pour soup through a sieve into a bowl, pressing on and then discarding any solids. Chill soup, uncovered, about 2 hours if serving cold, or reheat in cleaned saucepan.
To Prepare crab meat:
- 1. Heat a pot and pour little olive oil to cook crabmeat. Toss with cilantro and salt.
and pour chilled or hot soup over the meat.
- 2. Instead of crabmeat, we can have with chicken – prepare the same way.