- 500 gms Chembu (Yam) remove skin and cut into small cubes
- 1 Big Tomatoe or 2 small tomatoes chopped (I use Imli also instead of tomatoe- 1 small ball)
- 300 gms grated coconut
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 4 or 5 dried red chillie(cut into small pcs) for grinding with coconut.
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 or 2 each dried chilie –for tempering
- Curry leaves
- 3 tbsp coconut oil or any vegetable oil
- Cook the yam with tomatoes , turmeric and curry leaves till soft. (if using imli cook and add the juice extracted with water add later after cooking the yam)
Mash the soft cooked yam thoroughly, add in salt and pour the coconut mixture and allow it to boil. Remove from fire.
Grind the coconut and dried chillie till very smooth.
In a separate pan heat the coconut oil, add in the mustard seed and when it starts to splutter, add in the curry leaves and the dried chillie allow it to turn golden brown and pour it into the Yam curry. Cover and leave it for 5 mins. After 5 mins remove the lid and stir to combine the mustard seed mixture into the curry. Serve hot with rice.